Mood: hug me
Topic: aust govt
Author’s general introductory note
This is not a well packaged story. It’s a contemporaneous traverse of the Sunday television free to air political talkies indicating the agenda of Establishment interests: Better to know ones rivals and allies in Big Politics and Big Media. Perhaps the greatest utility is the headline synthesis above of the 3 or 4 shows followed in this session.
For actual transcripts and/or video feeds go to the programme web sites quoted including Riley Diary on 7. And note transcripts don’t really give you the image content value.
Other sources of pollie talkies on Sunday include SkyNews paytv Sunday Agenda, Radio National Monica Attard Sunday Profile show. And of course Sunday night shows SBS Dateline, Sixty Minutes and now Sunday Tonight on 7.
- Re Turnbull alleged pitch/recruiting to/by the ALP, Beazley sent this writer (SAM editor) an email to join their youth roundtable – about 1999 or 2000. We refused much to chagrin of FoE national office. Has the sniff of ALP choreography weakly related to reality but as they say perception can be reality.
- Garrett quick off the blocks midday Thursday on abc radio re strong role on Barrow Island class A nature reserve, as oil spill revealed earlier that morning. More ALP choreography on the environment after pre empting his decision with a $50B fanfare?
- ABC 702 Morning show by Adam Spencer increasingly Sienfeld issues lite. Just as the NSW ALP govt prefer? The contrast with Fran Kelly/Michelle Grattan, and even Saturday Extra is a quite stark, but then a 45 year old wonk here would probably say that.
- Annabel Crabb running interference for Julia Gillard, now AC is a parent angling for more secure future work in Govt protecting her drip feed now? What effect did those hair care products have on her brain?
- Santos says it’s ALP spin/hyperbole re Gorgon pre eminence [not to mention w*nk] . We saw the same big media gullibility for ALP choreography during the Bob Carr forest protection/destruction decisions claiming “biggest national park decision in the world”. Only it came in behind innumerable bigger decisions across the Americas, and see:
Santos says its gas deal tops $50b Gorgon contract
Cameron EnglandAugust 21, 2009 12:00amSANTOS says its 20-year deal to supply liquefied natural gas from Queensland to Malaysian company Petronas is actually Australia's biggest.Its chief executive, David Knox, yesterday denied the $50 billion Gorgon deal announced earlier this week held that title.
Mr Knox let slip in a conference call that he believed the Petronas deal, signed in June, was the biggest.
"We haven't given a figure," Mr Knox said.
"It's for three million tonnes and it's for 20 years and it's at very strong prices."
"So, if people have got more than three million tonnes for 20 years at very strong prices then they've done a bigger deal, but I don't think anybody has.
"I think they're all smaller, and I'm not sure they've done it.
"It's not a massive competition here, clearly all of these are big deals, so we haven't made a big thing about it, but clearly we've signed one of the largest deals ever."
6. Seems PM story last Friday on East Gippsland cathedral old growth of 800 year old trees is being swamped by more ALP spin, saying lack of endangered fauna means okay to log, and reserve decision of 400ha of forest nearby but not the old tree patch. Same sleazy govt rationale for 1402 area of Coolangubra in the late 90ies. Fact is these massive old trees are an endangered landscape type, not so much species as huge wet size, compared to spindly dry schlerophyll forest which was left by loggers around Marysville, Kinglake etc. In other words firestorm material compared to spongy wet old growth. The loggers legacy of mega fire after 50 years of mechanization? The last evidence of logger legacy is about to be killed at Brown Mountain like the other 95%?
7. Speaking of bushfire threat after first report of Victorian Bushfire Royal Commission, hazard reduction burns are testing the public's nerves lately, the price to pay for the tragedy in Victoria:
8. More post Victorian bushfire misconceived opportunism by the loggers?:
ABC NEWSWoodchip mill investigated over 'green power' claimsA woodchip mill on the New South Wales south coast is brushing-off claims that it is promoting a biomass plant as an accredited renewable energy project.South East Fibre Exports plans to build a five megawatt plant that will generate power by using wood waste from logging operations in native forests.The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is investigating leaflets distributed by the company using the words "green power" to promote the project.Green Power is a government accreditation program for renewable energy sources which do not produce net greenhouse gas emissions.It does not allow the use of native forest wood waste in biomass generators.A spokesman for the Eden based company, Vince Phillips, says the reference is not an attempt to appear accredited by the program."We're just talking about green power in terms of its application to renewable energy," he said."In a global context people consider renewable energy to be very much green power."But the Greens M-P John Kaye says the company is deliberately misleading people."It's an attempt to cloak their power station proposal in green clothes," he said.The biomass plant proposal is currently with the state's Planning Department.The ACCC investigation is expected to take one month.
10 Meet the Press: 8- 8-30 am
Intro re 25 yr $50B lng deal with China [smaller than Santos deal with Malaysia?]. Oil spill [shows risk to Barrow Island and role of PGarret to refuse/constrain.]
Grab of shadow Bishop re China relations [preaching to WA miner lobby?]
Headlines in Sydney Fairfax re Turnbull seeking shadow finance job with Beazley opposition. Compere PB notes looks like ALP going in to finish him off?
Talent is M Ferguson Energy minister [doing his best to play Rex Conner only successful]. Sledges Turnbull, talks up environmental responsibility and chummy with PG “Peter”.
First adbreak Kaspersky with Jackie Chan classy web security used for years now. Nurses profile advert.
Grab of Greg Hunt shadow on env.
Panel is Alison Carabine 2gb, Hartcher Fairfax both serious people. Talks up base load for wave and geothermal and storage capacity. Technology will be the solution [on climate].
Hartcher looking thinner, good question on coal guarantees. MF talks about “investment horizon on renewables”. Keen to expand U exports not nuke power.
2nd out take. MF says JV pushed ‘use it or lose it’. Bipartisan approach on Gorgon deal.
Prof Amin Sykle on Afghan election. Noted Karzai regime appeasing fascist patriarchy there. Not help to pull out. Talking with Taliban discussed. Opium barons.
Riley Diary 7, from 8.40am (clash with Laurie Oakes segment).
Footage ALP gang bash of Turnbull re “bad judgement”. Tax increases riposte. Terminator movie theme, war music theme. Senate power biffo between Family First and National Party ie Fielding and Joyce.
WA MP’s walkout looked “stupid”. Barry Hass a senior’s moment on camera [and cheap gotcha on Big Media’s part]
Out take talkies about Turnbull “approached” by the ALP, “not surprising”.
9 Sunday newshour Laurie Oakes interview 8.44 am
Advertised start time now, to avoid clash with Riley Diary?
Joyce, sledging ETS, no benefit on climate, consumers farmers, every producer will pay.
Obviously declines shadow Bishop fractious approach to China, as we must defend our own liberty. Says Rudd is a mixed metaphor. “Disaster” sounds pretty lame give relations with new Obama presidency?
Insiders 2: 9- 10am
‘Largest biggest deal’ says Cassidy compere and PM Rudd to Parliament. Barry Hass senior’s moment plays into rabble claim against Opposition. Collective dunny break funny line.
Panel is AC with rococo hair style with hair colour?/Fairfax, Mal Farr News corp Sydney, Bolt
Turnbull in press, Bolt notes Nelson and Turnbull shows neglected. Compere PB on 10 MTP ALP “trying to finish him off”.
Sledge of NSW and Rees plan. Grab of Joyce on leadership.
Wayne Truss praises Barnaby Joyce. Sledges ETS, CPRS. Echoed by dinosaur Paul Kelly at The Australian soliloquy.
Vox pop in fish market somewhere on Turnbull stature.. AC notes Rees in ALP doing a Beatie “I’m angry too at how rubbish I am” which is not what Beatie did, he campaigned against his own tribe which the punters loved.
Inside Business with Alan Kohler