Mood: hug me
Topic: aust govt
Picture: Still from Torn Curtain movie of 1960ies set in ... island city of Copenhagen, showing da man Alfred Hitchcock cameo holding up an infant. Paul Newman plays physicist who sleeps (!) with Julie Andrews (hot!). Backdrop of cold war, compared to now the global warming 'war' over trade and jobs?
Author’s general introductory note
This is not a well packaged story. It’s a contemporaneous traverse of the Sunday television free to air political talkies indicating the agenda of Establishment interests: Better to know ones rivals and allies in Big Politics and Big Media.
For actual transcripts and/or video feeds go to the programme web sites quoted including Riley Diary on 7. And note transcripts don’t really give you the image content value.
Other sources of pollie talkies on Sunday include SkyNews paytv Sunday Agenda, Radio National Monica Attard Sunday Profile show. And of course Sunday night shows SBS Dateline, Sixty Minutes and now Sunday Tonight on 7.
- Peter Woof (school teacher, Northern Suburbs boy) assaulted by Tony Abbott swinging punch as Sydney Uni Student, for real back in the 1970ies, Glebe Magistrates Court, forced to withdraw charge due to heavy lawyer costs threat. Privilege and aggression all in one incident as the mark of the man, muscular arrogant conservative. Feel free to sue Tony Abbott! Make me rich.
- Sleaze jobs for boys(girls) in the long time ALP state governments echoed by Albanese’s seat of Grayndler with no advertisement of general manager ‘s job at Addison Rd Community Centre for some 2 years. A rolled gold scandal, jobs for the sisters Yvette Andrews co author with Meredith Burgmann. Extensively reported here on SAM over 12 months 2007-2008.
- Biosecurity Australia on Macca Australia All Over hosing down super flu fear, in wake of swine flu in pigs W shape pandemic, in out, in out potentially worse. But source tells us last week quarantine at Sydney Airport has changed recently, collected boxes from airport, took them to Alexandria, then took them back to KSA to be processed. Completely breaching “bio security” one assumes, all authorized and directed by same customs. What a joke. Source was also alarmed as well as time delays.
- Turnbull to respond to elitist gibes with Australian Story tomorrow night. Who knows if it will work.
- SAM’s gluten free diet is going quite well. ColesWorth gluten free choc biscuits are choice, as are berry frozen yoghurt and or Weiss ice cream, Dorito regular corn chips, fetta cheese etc. It’s a hard life. Energy levels and humour are both on the up. Just as well helping run two pro bono legal matters, one social justice for disabled colleague, another to protect section of Blue Mtns World Heritage Area. The former as next friend as they say in the trade, and latter as legal agent as allowed under by L&E Court Act 1979 for a lawyer without a principal. But can’t help thinking we continue to suffer a restraint of trade given qualification back in 1990 and over 2 years real legal work over the years. Regularly have to reject requests for legal help.
- ALP conference life time membership to “Yellow Cake Bob” Hawke as per collector’s piece 1980ies lapel buttons produced by Friends of the Earth green group. Hawke for last 10 years has been courting an international nuke waste dump for Australia called Pangea. For real.
- Noel Pearson never mentions Howard breach of election promise 1996 for $40M to implement the broadly based consensus of Cape York Land Use Agreement in 1997. This silence was arguably the price of direct Howard/Brough grants to Pearson’s CY Foundation for 5 years??. Very messy indeed, and not so clear where the sleaze ends. Looking as fat as ever too. and such as Noel protege Tania Major on Q &A last week??.True however that the Blackfellas were promised by TWS in Cape York that their ownership would be recognized, from their Land & Rights Indigenous policy of 1993/4 national conference after Mabo (out of Sydney office of TWS and directly supported by this writer at the time – copy around somewhere in due course. Note however this always left open conceivable possibility of campaigning against Black developer owners. The obverse being Yvonne Margarula alliance with TWS, FoE etc say at Jabiluka against U mining there.
- Ben Sandilands on crikey.com.au says it's Richmond or the bush for 2nd Sydney airport with Albanese in infrastructure, Faulkner in Defence with RAAF base out there near Richmond and note this back in Dec 2007 just after ALP election:
10 Meet the Press: 8- 8-30 am
Bonge away, bill in the chair.
Tony Abbott re Battlines book, claims not a job application despite timing of leader Turnbull (very) low in the polls. Grab of Turbull saying did a charity launch ‘clash’ with book launch.
TA says Footage of celibacy adviser section of book launch speech, first out take. Panel is Mark Kenny Adeliades News Corp and Toohey AFR/Fairfax. Both fair/good value. Runs local control agenda in health reform.
Toohey tackles finances, response that local funded donations ripped off at present elsewhere, [so clearly about leveraging existing privilege in Liberal local areas]. Toohey tackles financing of superannuants to 70 years – Abbott defends [straight out of West Wing episode Josh Lyman adverts against Republicans working till your 90, but policy is probably valid still re demographics]. Classic people skills (irony) Abbott re ALP conference ALP has no life, with “mogadon” control of PM, “buying popularity with borrowed money”.
Abbott reveals “dubious on climate change science” but sop to sh*t browns in party in context of agreeing to ETS as can’t win the argument. Out take is Wilcox re PM Rudd cartoon no real action on Health, just cheap talk image true enough.
Bruce Hawker looking well fed and contented lobbyist is 2nd guest. ALP conference an “elaborate fundraiser” question ouch, BH argues “presenting a united front [so political presentation to offside Coalition]. Argues ALP united on ETS, how many coalition to make an ETS, no one knows, either do they (cheap laugh?). Addresses [not] sleaze of lobbying in the ALP, rests his defence on non existing transparency.
Riley Diary 7, from 8.30am
ALP protest re Gunns pulp mill, and marine King Neptune etc, then slumber party of the ALP conference, footage of Alan Griffin. Hawke footage swear over mining Antarctica [to cover his pro nuke, uranium, international waste dump Yellowcake Bob real history. Hawke did help save Franklin River but very mixed bag now.] Direct clash with Laurie Oakes who goes by the wayside by 8.46 am. Not a bad outcome framing united front but boring for the media. http://www.seven.com.au/sunrise/weekend
9 Sunday newshour Laurie Oakes interview 8.40 am
Only from 8.47 am clash with Riley Diary.
Mostly boiler plate but will have to re watch on web if possible.
Swan comments on fake email affair, and declines to answer but implies seen Auditor General report already.
Picture: Was a Labour voter? Image taken by SAM here at Cooks River Festival 2008 in the marginal seat of Marrickville.
Insiders 2: 9- 10am
Riley Diary style disco beat on ALP Conference, lots of grabs offset with Abbott book launch ‘never said an interesting thing in his life’, not under or overestimate PM Rudd.
Utegate fake email in Australian Story.
Uhlmann report natural evolution of Australian Politics re “dull report”. Notes Arbib vapour trail of a policy. Technical problems: Return segment: “reversed the polarity” ! Argues Rudd is from but not of the ALP. Says Rudd rejects 108 history of the ALP in power only 13 years (or times? Have to check.).
Go to press round up, press reporting Turnbull met Grech. Weak commentary about Turnbulls on Austalian Story. Anna Bligh in big trouble re perceptions of ALP cronyism.
Gillard is guest with boilerplate. Rolls out division in Coalition and conspicuous display of ‘unity’ at national conference. Talking about conspicuous cronyism in state ALP governments particularly Qld.
Vox pop with laughter club with pollies as the butt, then into serious Q & A, says will extend lives by 2 years, compared to Govt (in)action on national health reforms.
Arbib debacle in front of SkyNews in speak to set piece Rudd announcement re 50K new green jobs. Noted that he is national convenor of the Right of ALP. Bolt argues Rudd is making Arbib the fall guy for a deceitful policy [as per Greens critique where referred to as a cruel deceit in a ‘coal economy’].
Beattie $500K job in USA argues no cronyism in ALP, payment for access, including business disturbed also. Bolt argues unionist control of green energy assets is sleazy.
Noel Pearson on Qld – outside lobby groups installed in bureaucratic apparatus – Adrian on wild rivers previously Wildlife Preservation Society, Chalco mine lobbyists also. [Noel Pearson never mentions Howard breach of election promise 1996 for $40M to implement the broadly based consensus of Cape York Land Use Agreement 1997. This silence arguably is the price of direct Howard grants to Pearson’s CY Foundation and such as Noel protege Tania Major on Q &A last week??. Very messy indeed, and not so clear. Looking as fat as ever too.]
Talking Pics, pushed back to end of the show now. Health theme Rudd no action [as per Clarke & Dawe].
Humour takeout UK MP David Cameron too many twits make a twat.
Inside Business with Alan Kohler
Uranium coverage.Rod Atkinson with Scottish accent like Dirt Game exec, but exec for ERA in Darwin for real, intro says ERA tripled its profit to $100M plus first exports to China also, [with no guarantee it will go into their nuke weapons or shift along their supplies for same effect].
Note successful Black Green campaign at Jabiluka against expansion of Ranger at Jabiru, including this writer confidential legal report and protester support in Jabiru court [this bit interrupted by 43 bikers shiny machines, not bikies per se]. Cross refers to massive increase at Olympic Dam by BHP there.