Mood: accident prone
When an MP and a former Deputy Premier of an Australian State is in court on “serious criminal charges” as explained by The Australian here yesterday Jan 10th
one starts to wonder if governance has gone totally off the rails in that place.
SAM’s editor admits to a special interest. Being of an environmental activist leaning we were concerned about the integrity of our publishing on various web outlets (including to Federal and NSW MP’s) regarding the infamous woodchippers at Gunns Ltd down there in Tasmania. This wariness was particularly in light of the aggressive legal approach Gunns Ltd were pursuing against public interest groups like The Wilderness Society and fellow travellers.
Gunns Ltd is financially perhaps the biggest fish in the state economy down there via corrupt logging practices, with ex politician allies and board members.
We got some of our email checked out prior to Christmas and can now publish this statutory declaration by our technical adviser:
STATUTORY DECLARATION NSW OATHS ACT 1990
I, Robert Farquharson of Sydney in the state of New South Wales
Do hereby solemnly declare and affirm that: -
1. I am an expert in internet and computer security field including repair of hardware and software and protection from computer viruses, parasites. I have worked in the field for  years. My qualifications include
Ph.D (Computer Engineering); MCS; GradDipCompSc
The MCS is an abbreviation for Master of Computer Science. I have a few other minor degrees but I use these three on all my official letterheads and statements as they are the more important ones - The first two are from central Queensland University and the third one is from Griffiths University at Mt. Gravatt in Brisbane.
2. My contact details as per my letterhead are as follows:
PO Box xxxxxxxx NSW
For professional reasons I do not publicise my residential address.
3. I have provided internet security support to Tom McLoughlin who is the principal of a small network of ecology idealists for 3 years now. Tom is a solicitor in NSW and a friend and he also pays me for internet security work when he can afford to. I understand ‘ecology action’ is a non profit private foundation and is unincorporated. It is a basically a little social club that supports environmental causes. I have allowed him to include his website on my portal at:
I am aware that since February 2005 the ecology action website has gradually increased in reader viewing as demonstrated by the counter at the bottom left of the page. Currently it is at 15,387 views by the public.
4. I sent an email recently, as follows:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Farquharson" xxxxxx
To: "ecology action sydney" xxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:30 AM
Subject: An unsuccessful attempt
>A person attempted to hijack the website, all 5 links meant to access the
> CPPPCLTRUST website have been permanently removed, click onto any of the
> links that were sent and it will say The requested page was removed for
> terms violation
> He breached a serious part of the terms of the CPPPCLTRUST usage of the site
> and that is for all visitors to the site to "Refrain from using the services
> provided on the Site to invade the privacy of others, or to collect and use
> an individual's personal and private information or to gain or attempt to
> gain unauthorized access to other computer systems via the Site
> He sent his details as john_epa without any details on Tuesday, December 19,
> Keeping you safe in the background
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tripod Mailer" xxxxxx>
To: ************> Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 10:28 PM
> Subject: Letters to CPPPCLTRUST
> Full_Name: john_epa
> Contact_Nos: Unknown
> Comments: I have to say your site is great
> http://7387.4.1u05648d.info .
> http://8987.4.qjo9ca.info .
> http://8757.4.qjo9ca.info .
> http://6996.4.v32ee09q.info .
> http://2389.4.35k31ypm1.info .
5. The meaning of the email to Tom McLoughlin’s personal/work email address at paragraph 4 above can be summarised as follows:
The portal, which is a facility for hosting a combination of websites, which includes the ecology action website, has been attacked by a malicious hacker to take the portal and all dependent websites down off the internet. Each of the links listed indicate the hacker’s work to redirect readers from my portal to a page which reads:
“The requested page was removed for terms violation.”
This was a very dangerous hacking attempt because not only did it threaten the ecology action website, and my portal of other websites, which carries a solicitor Alex Tees and my own publications, but it also threatened the very reputable hosting website provider Tripod.com, a USA based company that provides user friendly website templates for consumers, and their customers. Tripod.com have corresponded with me to express their gratitude in fighting off the virus that threatened our situation collectively.
6. I found it very hard to define the source of the hacker’s computer via by what is known as their identifying “IP address”. Clearly the IP address is being hidden. However I can conclusively advise that it came from Tasmania. I also recall seeing something to do with “Gunns Ltd” in the electronic traces.
7. The hacking attempt was of a very advanced technological capacity involving a sophisticated multi pronged virus that first reads the defences, learns the website defences, and re attacks, up to 5 times or more. Although hackers are quite common, a hacker with that ability is very rare and invariably well paid and expensive to employ.
8. Yesterday Tom McLoughlin advised me that the very first item of information on his web page, which I don’t usually read and haven’t read for ages, has for a few weeks now been carrying this paper:
I am advised by Tom the ecology action paper relates to both political violence in Tasmania by loggers sympathetic to Gunns Ltd at the Weld Valley on December 2nd 2006, which Tom says was similar to violence experienced at Wandella State Forest on the NSW South Coast in 2005.
9. I am advised by Tom that the source information of the logger terrorist attack on the Weld Valley conservationist camp in Tasmania, being a media release of December 2nd 2006 has similarly been interfered with on their website at:
I am advised by Tom that late last week the link to this release of 2nd Dec 2006 regarding firebombing attempt by 3 ute loads of loggers in the early hours of the morning was diverted to another document of 27th November 2006 far less damaging to the reputation of the logging industry.
10. I am advised by Tom that the web master for the relevant Huon Valley Environment Centre that maintains the Weld Valley website, by the name of Lilia has had her phone line cut at the work station at the place she maintains the site. Tom has referred me to this email correspondence regarding his advice about repair of phone lines so their website can be repaired:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lilia L." xxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: on copper lines Re: your link is broken for press 2nd of Dec presser firebomb logger terrorists
> Hi Tom,
> thanks so much for your advice, and the stories - they're great! I didn't get to fix my phone line yesterday, but I'll go home and try what you suggested tonight. There's nowhere in Huonville where I can get a phone cord! I'll have to go up to Hobart if it doesn't work.
> P.S. Just this second we've got the news that the tree-sit camp has been busted by cops. We'll put stuff up on Melbourne Indymedia a.s.a.p.
11. In my opinion it is quite likely the hacking attempts on my website portal do relate to the ecology action Sydney section of the site because the hacking always seems to relate in time to any increase in activity by ecology action. Indeed over the years I have found providing internet security for Tom McLoughlin has taken more of my time than any other client. Also it is my opinion that it is quite likely this latest hacking attempt was to prevent the public or mainstream media practitioners or members of the political community from reading the new paper mentioned at paragraph 7. In my opinion as a expert on internet security the details in the paragraphs above are highly consistent with a campaign of deliberate and well resourced hacking of internet based information to censor news from Tasmania of a nasty and politically damaging event of political violence in the Weld Valley in Tasmania recently.
And I make this solemn declaration, in accordance with the Oaths Act, 1900, and subject to the punishment by law provided for the making of any wilfully false statement in any such declaration.
Declared at Sydney
This Sunday, 24th December 2006
Thomas Joseph McLoughlin, solicitor in NSW