Topic: aust govt
Author’s general introductory note (skip this bit if you know this regular weekly column):
This is not a well packaged story. It’s a contemporaneous traverse of the Sunday television free to air political talkies indicating the agenda of Establishment interests: Better to know ones rivals and allies in Big Politics and Big Media.
Indeed it’s the tv version monitoring task similar to what Nelson Mandela refers to here in his book Long Walk to Freedom (1994, Abacus) written in Robben Island prison (where he was meant to die like other African resister chiefs of history in the 19C), at page 208
“..newspapers are only a shadow of reality; their information is important to a freedom fighter not because it reveals the truth, but because it discloses the biases and perceptions of both those who produce the paper and those who read it.”
Just substitute ‘Sunday tv political talkie shows’ for "newspapers" in the quote above.
For actual transcripts go to web sites quoted below except with Riley Diary on 7. And note transcripts don’t really give you the image content value.
- Charming Annabel Crabb smh seems to have a biological clock ticking with her albeit accurate themes of voyeurism by Rudd ‘likes to [fuel] watch’ etc, and then the literary content of orgasmic Nelson and Rudd. Very clever writer.
- Rudd trumps fuel politics with formal exit from Iraq combat role early in week.And maybe SAM here pointing out that Fuelwatch is like highly successful cyber pressure group Get Up, and not so stupid as regards political economy. Also how Nelson can sustain his hypocratic oath we just don't know eg do no harm.
- ex PM #1 and #2 Hawke and Keating who are both likely interested in the yellow cake export agenda along with Martin Ferguson as energy minister, don't want Rudd to get too involved as an anti nuclear type Prime Minister?:
Australia could lead safe path to nuclear, Jonathan Pearlman, Foreign Affairs Correspondent
April 10, 2008
Bob Hawke might be back to celebrate saving of the Franklin River in 1983, 25 year anniversary but he got his nickname Yellowcake Bob for a reason. He was advocating an international dump called Pangea for Australia not so long ago too.
- We at SAM urged the federal govt Garrett and PM Rudd to approach the whaling issue between major trading partners as a western diplomatic issue sourced ... to use of nuclear bombs in WW2 on Japan. Yes we know there is no great logic or rationality to on the one hand whaling and on the other nuclear disarmament.
But we see Japanese stubborness as their way of expressing their psychological pain over the western arrogance of nuclear weaponry causing mass mortality compared to mere whales. If so sensitive to animals why not the great suffering of the Japanese people. It's a dysfunctional spiral of emotional violence. So going to the peace shrine at Hiroshima is exactly the right place to start for PM Rudd:
Sunday, 23 December 2007Cruel 'scientific' whaling today, cruel nuclear bomb science 1945
We already suspected the ALP federally were backing off the anti whaling agenda in favour of trade relations when we read a change of tone in The Australian business friendly press months back though we are having trouble locating the exact article that was the pivot. Certainly the Coalition's Greg Hunt is alive to the ALP go slow in favour of broader trade and security agendas. Here is more on security here from the dusty files:
Security deal a significant step for two aspiring nations ... 16 March 2008
Japan halts humpback whale hunt: US
Wednesday Dec 19 20:09 AEDT
- Lots of obsessing of Obama/Hillary contest genuinely historic time, and real life versions of great West Wing series (so very educational and quite realistic).
And arguably the reason Hillary was beaten, and also why she was such a strong candidate for just surviving the marriage?:
- Public angst over Rudd overworking tinged with a deal of affection it seems from the electorate not to hurt himself. Cynical tabloids try and poison those friendly cautions - indeed Sydney Daily Telegraph is showing signs of feralness which makes for interesting press and a tone of fear and loathing.
- We speculate Della Bosca and wife are getting the famous ALP ' friendly fire' for opposing outright privatisation - always the emotional violence not the substance of the policy, as per front page Sunday Telegraph. Or maybe it's straight out News Corp unfriendly potentially lethal fire like their Young Labor Animals story early in the week. Most significantly Phil Koperberg is at the table dealing on power privatisation as per SMH Saturday.
John Robertson as chief of Unions NSW made the point months back that this dispute over public energy was going to get ugly: Notice this collage suggesting quite a subtext of parallel public energy privatisation agenda running off the rails in the press over the weekend, with Iemma and Costa's job probably going with it, but in the short term its all about heat on Della to do him over as an opponent, as per Monday press 9 June 2008:
- How could Hillary Clinton get into the NSW political pond? Well various players are revealing their biases by promoting a spoof YouTube of Della above in the role of Hitler's infamous soliliquy in the quality movie Downfallen (we can't bring ourselves to watch yet). The spoof puts Della in the role of the beaten raging Hitler. Another in answer puts Iemma raging against the ALP party rivals. But both are a takeoff of Hillary put in the Hitler role raging against Obama (as reported in crikey.com.au here 9 May ) for winning the Democrat nomination. In other words the NSW party hacks are just that, ripping off an original joke. The Hillary version seems to have disappeared off the net - now that's power:
Indeed the link was here http://youtube.com/watch?v=B6Lstkiexhc as described here http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2014176/posts such that we get this deletion off YouTube, but it was Hillary first long before Della or Iemma:
- As for the Sydney Daily Telegraph here's another front cover for the sexism file, not very credible in a newspaper to put a model in sexy black bra on her back on the front page suggestive of horizontal folk dancing while trying to take the high moral ground on Della Bosca and wife:
- huge coverage of top cop Standen arrested for high level drug importation with Ch9 running a story last night tv news that he had access to all ASIO work against terrorism threats in Australia.
We wonder about his girlfriend moving to ICAC, to avoid scandal in the NSW Crime Commission for dating the most senior guy in the office while married. In particular we remember this about Chief Commissioner Cripps to Cr Gigliotti once for now infamous Wollongong Council. He got quite tetchy about Cr Gig really believing that standover crim Younan really was from ICAC. That is the 'lie' that ICAC was dirty could be so plausible as to pay hundreds and thousands in blackmail. The bare possibility of infiltration by traitors would make CJ Cripps annoyed. Then there was this only a week or so prior in the big press putting a corrupt Joe Scimone in the same office with an ICAC investigator at the
- As if to retrieve the reputation of law enforcement in Australia and get the public focus on the really really bad guys, huge coverage of Australian Federal Police raids/arrests of relatively large number (70) of child porn users and possibly abusers to make those images. Fairly gut wretching social dysfunction, affects all segments of society apparently. One story says these abusers are hard wired from adolescence. Grim stuff. Qld police challenge Keelty as chief of AFP over timing cruelling their own investigations? Talk about in fighting.
9 Sunday 7.30 – 9.30 am
Long weekenditis – missed the first 40 mintues, usually fluffy, Ross’s tax tip, web shows a feature on fuel costs with Virgin airways guy – would have been good – article about down dip in KSA airport patronage is the big news, change in cost of airflight, maybe noise politics.
Novelty story about throat singing, probably very good, missed it (sadly music language of the soul).
Buy in after 8 am rose coloured view of the grunt soldier – compare great movie Jarhead as above for the real thing, or Rampage film about Brown Sub Miami hood for the class role of the war (by George Gittoes, haven't seen but looks a must), a follow up to Soundtrack to War. Especially the road from Baghdad 1991 a cemetery of civilian burnt out cars trying to escape mass murder via Saddam miliarism or USA bombers. Those poor innocent people.
Report by Ellen on story behind the story of Nixon with David Frost with war critic researcher, and play of the media work behind, Jim Reston. Essentially a voyeuristic journey for parasites on power in the 4th estate. Reston does his best to reveal the strings on the choreography. As if a presidential humbling makes up for millions of deaths.
Some resolution with praise of masterly Frost (finally) after some 15 hours of taping to get him. Like Nixon on the couch. Ellen interviews Frost reprising her SBS doco Fine Line (or something like that). Really good feature story.
Ellen does the Oakes segment, who still appears in his column in the Daily Telegraph – this is a real change one thinks. Unless he appears after 9 and I miss them 2 weeks now.
Fullilove from Lowy Institute from USA has the conch on USA election – (great interview with abc radio current affairs (?) show recently too).
Tuned out a bit on the chat.
Full grab on Greg Hunt stunt takes focus of stupid Jason Wood, and does it well. The man has got real talent. Like him a lot. Panel impressed.
10 Meet the Press: 8- 8-30 am
PM Rudd is talent from 8.10 missed the first 10 minutes.
Caught laboured response to why gone soft on whaling as per Paul Bongiorno in Canberra sit down. Was a signal to the wise in The Australian about 2 or 3 months back we spotted ditching the green agenda for trade imperatives with Japan, mixed messages punters in tabloids versus big business. Sneaky Rudd govt?
Might have been tech issues with the cross but Ruddbot was on display, showing extra slept.
“after the dinner break” hopeless read by an MP, maybe missing his glasses.
Leak on slave driver Rudd in out take.
Rudd on US presidential nominations. Safe bat
Meet The Press - Watch Political Video Online - Channel TEN.
Riley Diary 7, 8.35 amRiley diary features Jason Wood Liberals with organism/organism stuff up. Get’s a free mitigation card via self deprecating humour. Probably fatal stuff up. Quite possibly drunk when he spoke. The Liberal answer to Mark Latham? Might be the balancer to Young Labor “animals” drinks story in News Corp tabloids early this week.
Insiders 2: 9- 10am
Busy last week missed Garrett beat up in big media on World Env Day. Cassidy leads with that. Essentially the vindication of Green thesis Garrett as green branding on brown ALP.
Footage of skydiving interview of Greg Hunt on solar. Classic opposition stunt work literally. He’s clever and courageous to have a go.
Cross to Hilary concession speech throws her full support behind Barry Obama. Most think not VP.
Footage of Rudd on Rove re Barry Obama. Dennis Atkins Courier. Kerry Anne Walsh reptile from SunHerald Fairfax. Front pager blowtorch on Della Bosca with Akerman waxing lyrical with cooperation of Cassidy. Hopeless lack of contextualizing over electricity privitisation stock standard blowtorch friendly fire as Iemma literally fights for his premiership. True enough that both Neale and Della have many rough edges. As seen by her read of a question in federal parliament.
Cross back to MTP re visit Rudd vision policy for Asia. Longish grab.
Interview with Julie Bishop. Unforgiveable treatment of Japan she says – hypocritical boosting by her of whales issue while saying should promote trade. Also Japanese PM was shaky on the way out first several months.
Nothing to say of great significance given the numbers? Presents as very sharp but also like an SS officer in drag. Extremely ruthless in style, ice maiden, persona. Very ideological out of the Howard ideology of the market, leavened with self interest.
Does get her point in about alcopops as a tax measure not health – see our story about News Corp big business adverts dependence, Coalition doing work of alco drug pushers.
Bishop takes the sisters unity line across party lines. If not illegal here, not apply to aid dollar. That’s impressive about female emancipation.
Domestic violence approach by Plibersek versus Bishop, hopeless lack of challenge by Cassidy. Horrific murder of mother and daughter case in Sydney dumped off Echo point. How did it come to this. Plib is right to dig into this. Cassidy let bishop off, folding to tabloid blowtorch on Plib.
Gets it wrong on McCain “easily” beating field of credible candidates, actually he had some near death experiences along the way. Sidesteps Howardism attack on Barry Obama (the hybrid vigour candidate).
Everyperson segment – art lovers, guy with tremour very articulate, interesting choice of society, middle aged older folks.
Panel discussion to see Kerry mind at work for first time on panel. Very experienced. Atkins ASEAN, East Asian forums. Rudd has a habit announcing of what he wants then goes ahead with the meeting. KAW waffles a bit but confident with it. Appealing presence I would say for tv actually in this setting, chuckling natural.
Paul Kelly soliloquy. Asian vision nay saying issues. Presented in most confusing way. Dick Woolcott only hours before approached to do this. Pictures of Rudd and Rein, both looking their dumpy selves, long shot top of airline steps which doesn’t quite flatter re girth.
World Env Day PM speech on car industry. Extremely contentious idea green car industry. Next generation fuel efficient cars. Dismissive of warnings of Prod Comm warnings. Very powerful signals and Rudd will be fighting for these signals.
Grab from Ruddbot again MTP 10. Consensus Rudd has credibility gap (my words) on overworking of public service. Losing judgement though caffeine, overwork
KAW is doing well at this level, sceptical of Piers, some strong points. Bring her back. She is visual chaos with a brain, reasonable speaking poise and voice, a human kaleidoscope on tv, good talent. No nerves. Cassidy warms to her contributions.
[here’s the drill, quit all alcohol, and then quit coffee which is the complementary drug of impact, and relax into the work, with wit and grace]
Jason Wood embarrassment gets the run after all. The 3 second theatrical pause (shortened from 7 seconds for tv) to let the hilarity speak for itself, no egg beating. KAW gets the conch and handles deftly with appealing humour. All pretty light hearted, lucky for Jason Wood, 2nd chance material.
Home page is http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/