Topic: aust govt
Author’s general introductory note
This is not a well packaged story. It’s a contemporaneous traverse of the Sunday television free to air political talkies indicating the agenda of Establishment interests: Better to know ones rivals and allies in Big Politics and Big Media. Perhaps the greatest utility is the headline synthesis above of the 3 or 4 shows followed in this session.
For actual transcripts and/or video feeds go to the programme web sites quoted including Riley Diary on 7. And note transcripts don’t really give you the image content value.
Other sources of pollie talkies on Sunday include SkyNews paytv Sunday Agenda, Radio National Monica Attard Sunday Profile show. And of course Sunday night shows SBS Dateline, Sixty Minutes and now Sunday Tonight on 7.
- Day After Tomorrow on tv movies still packs a punch on 7 last night.- Rudd meeting insulation tradie protesters outside the Big House in Canberra reminds of a scene in the West Wing when POTUS Jed Bartlett under extreme political pressure jumps out of the security convoy to talk to voters on a tourist visit to Washington DC. Man of the people etc. Was it first or second season? We don't recall but wikipedia has the episode list.
- BSE - bovine spongiform encephalophy – or something like that is growing controversy. Govt has full page advert in press today via industry figure.
- Lenore Taylor ex News Corp front page SMH last week. News Corp revolving door with big politics with opinion piece by one David Gazard “former political adviser to John Howard and Peter Costello”, not to mention Sinodonis in The Oz. Glen Milne may become redundant yet.
- finally PM Rudd appears on Insiders but only because he is desperate for PR with his brittle polling popularity slipping. Abbott is now on 40% preferred PM – which is not good for public policy on climate or just about any other green policy issue.
- News Corp comments moderator deletes our comment about aggressive far right peanut gallery on their string for Laurie Oakes column. Pathetic organization.
- hard man Tony Abbott was reported as taking 7 hours or something to complete a triathalon.
- Offsiders sport show this morning refers to News corp behaving ‘coercive tendentious’ is like Frank Sinatra description of Australian journalists as “two bit hookers”. But then compere Cassidy states “that was Insiders last week” regarding discussion of The Australian as biased (as per David Marr comments etc)
- What’s to be made of the SMH still trying to identify a colour writer to replace Annabel Crabb. First it’s Marr, then Devine, and pre New Year there was another feature writer who was good. Make up your minds, or give SAM the gig!
- When a liar calls a liar a liar? We recognised a talkback caller on abc 702 late last week, let's call him N waxing lyrical about his credentials as a 'sailor for 30 years on Sydney Harbour' in reference to the Keating/Barangaroo phallus like gazump on the official design competition. Now having known N for 15 years, and visited his home several times and worked on joint projects over that time we can't recall one nautical item literally or in conversation. Not one safety jacket, sail cloth or salty rope. Maybe he has been out on the Harbour in that time - in a Sydney Ferry?
10 Meet the Press: 8- 8-30 am
Riminton in the chair. Footage of PM Rudd etc. Press on big quake, polling 50:50 major parties. Talent is Abbott. Q re pursue Garrett more? Shifting focus to PM and govt – says all talk no action. Says long way to go despite polls.
Lack of value in schools stimulus. Humour out take Roxon golf ‘balls’ to her opposite.
After 1st adbreak Panel is Lewis News Corp, Schubert The Age. Principle of federal takeover. Abbott blames bureaucracy, management boards Qld and NSW, renegotiate health agreements.
Lewis on Sorry Day like Anzac Day? Black armband? Abbott – lets wait and see. [Dorothy dixer.]
Schubert on trust – work choices, medicare safety net. Agrees adjust promises due to radical changes. ‘Crisis of faith in this govt’ over promising on petrol grocery prices.
Lewis finally asks hard question – Joyce moved as finance minister. Lame answer about Joyce not Garrett on insulation. Argues Tanner airbrush of insulation scheme as nitpicking. “Barnaby doing a good job”.
Riminton – play book from Republicans spoiler role in Senate. Denied. Israel let Australia down? Says unclear full facts. Don’t assume bad faith. [totally lame]. Humour out take is Warren on Garrett bob sled toon.
2nd guest – Prof Clive Williams on Israel
Riley Diary 7, from 8.40amRose Bay sign Rudd sucks. Mini me theme Mark Arbib look alike to Minister Garrett. Rudd stand by “next week” . “Whose going to save me” Oils clip. Q and A re Beattie game play. Rudd action on GFC not all well designed. Combet is Mr Wolf of govt (fixer? Refer Pulp Fiction).
9 Sunday newshour Laurie Oakes interview 8.44 am
Winter Olympics coverage again, refer feature story in Saturday News Corp Sydney Daily Telegraph Telegraph Rudd says he's dropped the ball which gets a bollocking by aggressive right wing commenters typical emotional violence.
Insiders 2: 9- 10am
Riley style package terrorism, insulation, Israel rip of Oz passports for political murders. Garrett looking … sullen, like a spoiled lad who has always got what he wanted. (?). Just another ego driven pollie who has crashed (?).
Panel on press – Lenore Taylor Fairfax re polling headline is confused and incorrect. LT and Farr shows Abbott consolidated vis a vis Hockey. G Henderson – TA has ‘people skills’. Farr notes image of Garrett in casuals exaggerated but Dept got a rough deal major economic programme not equipped to implement.
Henderson claims Abbott is sincere about pay rates as if he is poor?
PM Rudd has PG as second class minister? In effect no because env minister is a big job on pulp mill, Traveston dam etc. PM sounding a bit better with his head cold, but also looking a little pale. Q. Combet has job so troubles in future blame who? PM says mine. Praises Combet. Alan Hawke to administer very experienced. PM plays GFC card, not an excuse, but that’s the context avoid global economic disaster.
Moves onto health. Finally gets to GFC for failed July 09 deadline. Says no excuse [but in effect the reality]. Had problems with delivery. Didn’t properly understand the complexity. [in our experience everything takes longer than it looks, everything because you inevitably get fresh information as you go].
Says govt deserves a whacking in the poll now and in the future. Shows a smile intends to get on and do it on health – clearly hinting there is a big reform coming. Double dissolution as late as October. Colour returning to Ruddy visage as interview continues. Looking more natural and relaxed and smiling.
Holds to climate as absolutely profound. Through everything at it. Thinking about 20 years from now. Cost a trillion dollars, a real trillion dollars not Joyce one, in 20 years. Refers to “watching facial expressions” [which was our blog line on crikey strings]
Convincing rejection of sexist quote attributed to him in SMH.
Reconciliatory nod each way compere BC to PM quite dignified.
Vox pop – nursery staff on Garrett.
Panel discussion on PM Rudd be more accountable. GH says over reaction. Takes a softer line about bureaucrat gibe. (GH sees himself). Farr says boredom factor while Abbott is [everyman] cut through. Grab of radio call scared oldie to Niel Mitchell. Resolved with Dean Meaghl at ETU.
Taylor points out Cabinet responsibility for blocking co-payment. Grab from Good News Week – Rudd is the 26th in the job with a d*ck.
GH says Hamas figure is no loss, hiccup in relations with Israel. LT – nothing Australian Govt can do. Impact on now travelling in ME. GH says Stan Hu is a bigger issue. Farr – Mossad won’t consult with ASIS etc on such things. Farr accuses GH of supporting killing of Hamas leader.
Joyce grab on net public private debt bigger than US. LT notes TA lame defense Joyce not actually a minster yet. [agree lame]. GH praises Gillard more rigorous policy in our schools: Number is guarantee of privacy.
Inside Business with Alan Kohler