Sunday free to air political talkies: Boorish failure by Howard Govt to announce election day climate change
Topic: election Oz 2007
Author’s general introductory note (skip this if you know this regular weekly column):
This is not a well packaged story. It’s a contemporaneous traverse of the Sunday television free to air political talkies indicating the agenda of Establishment interests: Better to know ones rivals and allies in Big Politics and Big Media.
Indeed it’s the tv version monitoring task similar to what Nelson Mandela refers to here in his book Long Walk to Freedom (1994, Abacus) written in Robben Island prison (where he was meant to die like other African resister chiefs of history in the 19C), at page 208
“..newspapers are only a shadow of reality; their information is important to a freedom fighter not because it reveals the truth, but because it discloses the biases and perceptions of both those who produce the paper and those who read it.”
Just substitute ‘Sunday tv political talkie shows’ for "newspapers" in the quote above.
For actual transcripts go to web sites quoted below except with Riley Diary on 7. And note transcripts don’t really give you the image content value.
- WS FM runs Tommy Rodonikis attacking adverts using tax dollars for playing politics, should be playing football, ALP's Tim Gartrell authorisation at 10.30 am.
- Australian's Caroline Overington's pathetic pandering to Howard regime by continuing to attack Media Watch to stroke Albrechtsen, a Howard mate, in order to get the cover story of their glossy ... on Howard - the man who stayed too long at the party.
- Ramsey Saturday Herald slam dunk of sad sorry Heiner affair as a political strategy versus Rudd, as Sunday Tele runs Akerman tub thump on same thing on shadow even numbered opinion page. Ramsey has the provenance re Sankey Liberal legal trickery too. BUT the Heiner shredding is really a symptom ofthis: the Fitzgerald Inquiry wanted to put the salts through the ALP after doing the Nats over in the 1980ies, but Fitz was prevented from doing so by incoming ALP Goss govt to avoid “a lawyers picnic”. This is the story that hasn’t been written – that Joh’s deep corruption had tainted the ALP too, even if the Heiner matter is a blind alley, echoes of Beattie wheeling Joh’s wheelchair?
- Megalogenis at The Australian, and Hartcher et al Fairfax slam dunk the boondoggle agrarian socialists in the National Party guilty of disastrous land clearing,and lying (Vaile: $100B economic contribution, only $25B, disjunction of export to food security etc) as to their economic importance. They only exist to prop Howard prime ministership but they are easily on the wrong side of ecological history.
- Laughable hypocrisy of sneering News Ltd on the one hand distributing Climate Clever booklet, and advert page 21 in Sunday Telegraph but calling it “Greenhouse mania” in their editorial in The Australian weekend copy AND $2 Will Bailey …err Tim Blair in Sat Tele calling everyone else hyprocrites for caring about climate with dirt in both papers recently on Dr Karl (Strewth column in the Oz Sept 28, p3 of Saturday Telegraph) for getting involved in the Climate Change Coalition electioneering. Notice the shift in emphasis – yeah DCC is real but its techno fixes and our Coalition side that’s got it covered. Only they haven’t, and it won’t be techno, but cultural, well both really.
- Lib researcher self referential excuses for dirt trawling rather than policy in the Oz by Alan R. M. Morris (sic) 28/9/07. Hardly good governance focus.
- interesting piece for a change by Michael Costello about Burma seems to have rediscovered his heart, but no one mentions Optus owned by Singtel owned by Singapore govt ... in cahoots with Burma drug lords money laundering. A boycott campaign anyone?
- Onya Ziggy, confirms Howard very pro nuclear energy in The Oz.
- Too bad nuclear bomb veterans from Hiroshima occupying force got no respect eh Ziggy: Ramsey 25/8/07 smh.
- Here comes (reports Chris Merritt) the bogus tort of privacy to enbale big corporates to reassert legal ascendancy after asbestos/Hardies inspired reform of defamation law to really debate the corrupt multinationals and smaller wannabes.
- Tas pulp mill not an economic goer in fact - just all boondoggle corruption really - per Oz p6 28/9/07, repeat of p2 8/9/07. And John Lyons suggests its increasingly as unpopular as equine flu
- Big profile one page profile for media tart Mick Kelty and his 'AFP family' re police remembrance day but as much special pleading on Haneef, elsewhere stories of Chaser possibly to get off with wrist slap major embarrassment, and Mamdouh Habib scandal of forged evidence in The Oz.
- Meanwhile the Climate Change Coalition and Greens (pictured above) are vying for full page adverts in SMH monthly glossy Sydney Mag, and Good Weekend respectively on populist DCC. Greens have the machine for my money.
- 2 page advertorial by GHD promoting Al Gore visit and business sustainability in The Oz, Thursday or so (advert offline)
- Perhaps the most uplifting aspect of the weekend press is Kessing getting a $40K handshake from the big media for doing his public duty only to cop a conviction and 3 year legal merry go round and lose his job.
- Another uplift - NSW govt contradicts its own nature by saving a few red gums for now, say till the federal election?
- Idealistic media run images of caged reality 'installation' on Bondi Beach in Fairfax, Australian and ABC tv news etc, so naturally Saturday Telegraph runs a 2 pages 25, 26 spoiler about : 'Beirut' Bondi with repeat pics of same Mekano digger, repeat pics of same high rise renovation, and repeat of same story we ran here on SAM ie allusion to 'battle ground Bondi' ...oh was it April or May 07? Having voted as councillor 10 years ago for the west side of Campbell Pde upgrade the real story is why the Federal Govt continue to spend next to nothing on Bondi Beach maintenance when tens of millions visit per year. That's a real story.
- WWF report damns Howard Govt strategy: Fri 28th Sept Sept p3 SMH by Marian Wilkinson, seriously smart new 'environment editor', next to
- We noticed page 5 of The Oz 3 picture splitting story (show above)about Not Happy John team getting a chill from charmer Maxine McKew in The Oz, who doesn't want the abrasive aspect to her outreach. This writer felt a twinge of criticism, but agree with the notion Howard Hating is no way forward for previous supporters of Howard because it provides no room for dishonourable disengagement from the Rodent. And the real point is as Silas once of NHJ and now of Get Up will tell you, Maxine has her own new 'NHJ' run by Brett Solomon/Evan Thorley et al. So dear John Valder it is time to focus on Wentworth where they enjoy a bit more biffo compared to Epping. Mind you Darling Point and Double Bay are very Epping too even if the white picket is more deck and balustrade than fence paling.
- Interesting splitting angle by Howard's office promoting ex ALP PM Hawke as the current PM's confidant, probably on yellowcake, as Hawke does ALP tub thump tour in WA to great effect. A prime ministerial warning to silver bodgie to back off or the rep get's it? All leveraging Hawke/Keating hostility with sledge of latter woven into the story, where else but p1 Australian 28/9/07
- Bloggers are newspapers 'best friend' for effectively promoting their online adverts by links
- Errol Simper blows the whistle on axing of the Natural History Unit at the ABC who 'coincidentally' broadcast the anti logging The Last Valley. You join the dots. Similarly Amanda Meade notes Kim Dalton not welcome at Eureke awards.
- 'Rangoon detains activist over rally' - August 27 2007, The Australian p12. That is the tragedy there was brewing at least 5 weeks ago.
- Hans Blix plea for nuclear disarmament was lost in all the APEC palaver, 28/8/07 p13 SMH
- nice to hear Cats win the AFL grand final, because we didn't bother watching after the 3rd quarter in disgust at the mismatch, and the surly 'play the man not the ball' mediocrity of the Port Adelaide defence. You have to be hungry for the ball and that's the real joy of the game, not the other side. Port were psychologically misdirected.
- oldie but a goodie, battery charged bicycles for the hills in Sydney. 28/8/07 SMH p14.
Meet the Press
Drought climate nexus Vaile is talent. Press roundup re Cats win afl grandfinal. Union slush fund story, Telstra to target Howard Coalition, poll Nov 24 last Saturday in November?
Voter drought? Vaile smirks re date no confirmation. Vaile doesn’t discount dangerous climate change (DCC) causes drought at least in tone while quoting history of previous “cyclical droughts”. True but sounds like he is scared too. As he might be.
Vaile admits agri welfare like auto and TCF sector. “Survival mechanism” ironic ie of National Party [that will only have pro mining economic support after farm shrinks]
My space question ‘kid’ from Toowoomba Qld student. Ans re full employment stay in regional Australia. Outtake scratchy my space questions.
1st advert Get Up spoof of govt climate change PR strong on sleaze aspect of hypocritical govt record re Kyoto spoiling etc. As per 1st quarter of AFL yesterday.
Annabel Crabb Fairfax, Glenn Milne in News Ltd. Rudd footage on positive agendas.
How many Nationals in Cabinet if they win? Depends on the vote. To and fro
Question on $1B road election promise leak in Daily Telegraph. AC tries to flush out extra to budget $22B to 2014, old money or not? Vaile fudges. Still negotiating.
Nuclear – over the next 10 years turn to this? AC bouncer again. AC steel in velvet glove with her pinny dress. Again Vaile fudges.
‘Same sex marriage’, my space question – traditional line, keep word as it meant. Moved along way on property, super etc discrimination rights.
Animation from The Australian – laugh out loud, dream runner stops for another bloody inquiry on anything [but post Fitzgerald ALP which gives some logic misdirected Heiner business]
2nd adbreak – IR advert bonuses for corporate board, strong impact.
Kortlang moonlighting from abc spin doctos with Trioli, Liberal Party provenance but acute open amusing all the same. Lib leadership polling dynamics. Pretty “amazing” Turnbull is no.4 after Howard Costello Downer. It’s time? No – Affair with Kevin Rudd,everyweekend goes home to Howard. Over next 5 weeks Rudd is going to say have to live with me.
Long campaign like Hawke in 1984? Peacock got closer when had nothing. Howard longer campaign to close Rudd down. Only differences really Kyoto, Work Choices, troops out of Iraq, rest is campaign he implies re stumbles and bumbles.
Transcript in due course www.ten.com.au/meetthepress
Myspace web address:
7 Weekend Sunrise, 8.35-40 am Riley Diary -
Fairly dry and serious about election postures as footy takes over this weekend, alleged Rudd team arrogance, cocky etc, splitting tactics etc Elevator music is too much to bear. Rudd controls Cabinet personnel and portfolios. Grand final images. Q & A lots of cover laugh, grating music is the message in fact, when the hell are you going to call it, “boring us to tears” aspect.
Year of the phoney campaign, longest he can remember. Riles has perfect teeth. What a bastard. Old chestnut 4 year set terms, [should be but never will be]
Indy edition with Bob Katter and Tony Windsor. Latter torpedo re PM ad hocery in face of Rudd, and supports renewable energy too. IR sleeper issue.
Paul Kelly soliliquy - missed a fair bit, and every person segment.
Home page is http://www.abc.net.au/insiders/
Goes the TWU follow up with Tony Sheldon. Using discreet fund to run election related campaign on IR which is what unions do, just like business. Get out your egg beater eh 9? As Ray said off transcript last week - won't the coalition love that story. Well der it was their story.
Adbreak with pro IR WorkPlace Authority of Govt - straight electioneering ad we paid for. Corrupt.
TWU gets badgered by Ross Coulthard. Ray says "I'm sure Mr Howard and Mr Costello will love those non answers."
Next story is electioneering - young voters enrollment issue. Angus from Sydney Uni SRC with Albanese all over the issue. Token balancer story from conservative ch9?
Feature is Iraq war troops thesis both sides very similar. Weird referral of foreign policy to troops on the ground. Since when?
Orange background is nice, what is the subliminal? A burnt DCC future? Turnbull with square wall features says something too.
Laurie Oakes with Mal Turnbull back from Washington. Does spade work on carbon trade system. Oakes skeptical about USA Bush accepts problem but does nothing [echoes embarrassing footage of smirking lying Bush on stage]
Again stolid presentation, probably jet lag. Praises Howard at APEC, developing countries have to contribute. Furphy by Turnbull here. They were in Kyoto waiting for unified west to get real on conditioning their imports, but Australia and USA sabotaged that by cheating on the preparations via Kyoto to put the binders on.
Oakes, cut off our nose to spite our face given no clout at Bali critical meeting coming?
Howard sounds like a dill attacking subsidy previously Nov last year, now is okay, been all over the place says LO. Turnbull chuckles but avoids buying in at the invite.
Embracing ALP policy including renewable energy policy.
Tas pulp mill, LO go ahead this week? Decision this week, won’t reveal a decision. Going to follow chief scientist recommendations. Fully invested in that report author.
Election, Govt win, Howard lose. Find him a seat for PM still? Just a hypothetical.
Posted by editor
at 10:31 AM NZT
Updated: Wednesday, 3 October 2007 9:57 PM NZT