Sunday political talkies: Crunching pollies and props in lead up to Copenhagen destiny
Topic: aust govt
Author’s general introductory note
This is not a well packaged story. It’s a contemporaneous traverse of the Sunday television free to air political talkies indicating the agenda of Establishment interests: Better to know ones rivals and allies in Big Politics and Big Media.
For actual transcripts and/or video feeds go to the programme web sites quoted including Riley Diary on 7. And note transcripts don’t really give you the image content value.
Other sources of pollie talkies on Sunday include SkyNews paytv Sunday Agenda, Radio National Monica Attard Sunday Profile show. And of course Sunday night shows SBS Dateline, Sixty Minutes and now Sunday Tonight on 7.
* ABC radio national is the proverbial public square especially iconic Michelle Grattan pre 7.45 am with Fran Kelly given it’s archived on web, contrasting in Sydney with light often shallow probably very popular Adam Spencer. Compare tougher interviews by … anyone really post 7 am we used to get from say Phillip Clark, Andrew Olle, Angela Catterns, maybe even Wendy Harmer no slouch in the comic department and on public issues. Spencer has recently learned the “some people say” device, probably off Richard Glover. His comic inserts to life and death issues like flu pandemic interviewS – what can you say about that? Maybe people like it, more fool them. This week it’s “Shire Shite” as Adam Spencer bravely notes himself. Is this MD Mark Scott’s way for 702 to avoid its duty as the public square in Sydney 5.30 to 7.45 am every day of the working week by avoiding controversy. Mmm
702 gravitas deficit? Probably this listener’s age and polical development too. [Just as the updates show 3000 in quarantine and 250 cases confirmed for swine flu – that’s exponential growth rate folks. But seen as seasonal flu impact … so far, unless it follows ‘a W profile’ that is coming back nastier mutations eg combo with regular flu with hybrid vigour. It’s not over folks.
* Minister Penny Wong can’t deliver the ETS Senate votes and will embarrass PM Rudd in the lead up to Copenhagen major global conference as USA moves to cement it’s policy position in time for same. Is that behind Magadon Wong losing her famous cool in Senate hearings recently? Is that why Combet her ostensible Parliamentary Secretary is the tail wagging the dog lately? Stalking her ministry perhaps?
* Wong may find she is more alike to Peter Garrett than she realizes, another metaphorical domesticated Gouldian Finch in big brain Combet’s bird enclosure. Bright plumage but a prisoner of fate all the same, put there by the tough real Green Party Senators Milne, Brown etc?
* Wong choreography of “beltway green groups” as Lenore Taylor of News Corp refers to them (Aust Cons Foundation, Climate Institute, ACOSS, ACTU head office) into their 12 month delay back flip on ETS implementation produced the quid pro quo during the week. No sooner had the tame Gouldian Finches (!) greenies provided political cover on junked election timetable for an ETS than they got a $1B solar power station and $303 Murray Darling water rights policy pay off for being good beltway trusties. ACF in particular have always strong on river issues back to the Tim Fisher campaigner days (the other one, not ex deputy PM now ambassador to the Vatican).
As per claims of ½ Sydney water usage purchased from the Twynam agri group is illogical comparison. Urban use of water has always been a minor fraction of agri usage. What fraction of agri usage out of the MD river system is it? Either locally, regionally, statewide or nationally. That’s the real statistic. It reminds of Bob Carr announcing national parks and saying it’s the biggest decision in the whole world. The Wilderness Society compiled a global list proving that was hyperbolic dishonesty.
* Laurie Oakes column yesterday in Saturday News Corp Telegraph has at least 2 howlers (and Bolt notes this as does Riley by implication though not direct) that LO is becoming a partisan player and it’s a theme we picked up way back pre election loss of Howard, at the least hints of same. A survival mode for aging LO perhaps, he might recall Einfeld aging disgracefully and consider his options. He once told this writer he would keep going for 20 years in 2005 (outside Howard’s Sydney office actually) but that’s just wrong LO and you know it. His column yesterday referred to NZ Keyes regime supporting Rudd approach to the GFC but that’s so wrong because they are not doing stimulus only deficit. And Rudd on debt presentation was blatant so to claim Rudd’s omissions were “inadvertent” to paraphrase Turnbull this morning is incredulous. Especially coming from the old boy. 10 Meet the Press: 8- 8-30 am
North Korea focus lead in footage, Foreign Minister Stephen Smith as talent. Press roundup eg pleas to PM re Schapelle Corby.
Strong line on impotent western pollies. Smith says sanctions re UN resolutions luxury goods and weapons. Question from viewer re Corby harsh sentence. Lip service re assistance and prisoner transfer. PB – going for 5 years. “Not suggesting or pretending fair way to go on this” but was until PB called him on it.
Humour break #1 – PropsGate in parliament of “not running a sideshow” says Speaker. Mmm. John Dee in adbreak becausewecare.com.au re recyclable/reusable retail shopping bags. Also in second break.
[remember going tohis first big PR foray back in early 90ies. This guy has really blossomed using his PR skills for sustainability, well done John Dee.]
Serious panel, RN’s Fran Kelly, Fairfax Phil Coorey SMH.
First question re Copenhagen conference on climate change.
‘Yiguars’ issue from China at Gitmo – [pathetic dodging by Bishop/Turnbull that these defiant resisters of the Chinese dictatorship should not have refuge here. It will help our US ally deal with the numbers in Gitmo freeing up their options. Fits with our White Paper precautionary approach to China too.]
Smith strong important in law and policy to reject third party interference. [Just like Chen Yonglin.]
So called “curry bashings” concern of Indian students big money earner for Australia. High level talks between governments.
After 2nd break Heather Ridout, condescending tone sledging ‘unionist’ Combet actually an MP and parliamentary secretary.
Ridout claims 138 years pedigree and non partisan politics – that’s historic revisionism, claims political outcomes is what counts. Again very condescending answer to Fran Kelly with a steely pose and body language complete with leather jacket. [Ironically suggests defensiveness, like Penny Wong, that the whole ‘fix’ is falling apart with The Greens playing hard and for keeps on saving our planet, God bless Senator Milne. Nothing Stockholm about that woman/MP/Senator.] Free trade question – missed the answer.
Meet The Press - Watch Political Video Online - Channel TEN.
[brilliant] Riley Diary 7, from 8.30am
‘crazy week’ in parliament. Propsgate ‘show and tell’ Laurie Oakes insertion into the package is quite surprising showing Rudd alleged hyprocrisy about parliamentary standards.
Fantastic Bob Dylan rip off re placards of famous song (Highway 61 Revisited?]. Harry Jensen speaker as not “a sideshow”. [Hockey does good Shrek angry impersonation.]
[raises the bigger issue that Hansard is way too narrow a record in the age of multi media.
Q&A shows Jensen has been partial to the govt angle. [Visual references to LO reveals awareness of weak column yesterday way too pro govt]
9 Sunday newshour Laurie Oakes interview 8.40 am
Senator Wong as guest, botch estimates committee 100 years stabilization goal. Putting on brave face. Bob Brown quoted as “monumental mistake”. Wong says documentation doesn’t reflect the error and that’s the main thing. [yes but her mistake is revealing of a politician under pressure and potentially cracking].
LO unconvinced on numbers, won’t get it through. LO have to make the scheme greener to get The Greens to agree. Wong says May 4 position still holds re ACF [see above re quid pro quo in backgrounders] Climate Institute, ACOSS etc.
Says Nats support for Turnbull position proves it’s a worthless position [but Wong ignores election aspect to avoid double dissolution too early]. LO follows up
Reference to Wong interview on racism suffered as child, can’t compare to Sol Trujillo. [Wong probably profile raising, sympathy grabbing, another indicator of career high water mark and feeling a hot breath on her neck?????] Smooth line about overall tolerance. Nice touch handshake back to the main desk with Cameron and Perfect Posture woman. [Jealous.]
Insiders 2: 9- 10am
Good morning welcome loop for the first minute at least, will have to get off the web. Reprise of the Riley Diary angle above too music and “sideshow” aspect. All the gallery notice different treatment by speaker. Propsgate continues with “sideshow” quote of speaker.
Delay of ETS, panel is Bolt (News Corp Melbourne) Atkin (News Corp Brisbane) Middleton SBS (nationally, ethnic broadcasting).
Talent is Opp leader Turnbull – advert re debt under control. “Achilles heel” Lateline last Friday Mark Arbib admitted props to offset debt argument.
Grab of Wong on Sunday 9 show ‘a few minutes ago’. Says Turnbull position is “a con” (she would know??).
First question is about a con. Devastating audio problem with Turnbull can’t be heard. For at least 3 mintues to “most notably the Americans” [Turnbull]…..at about 9.11 am. Quotes Canada [wrong conservative regime not comparable politics despite similar economy]. MT runs his delay wait on USA huge political capital of Obama scheme. Says rules and regs not published is the “dirty little secret”. No reason ‘to rush’ all about PM Rudd vanity and ego for Copenhagen. Australian workers have to have same benchmark protection as USA. [our workers have never been compared social contract of USA – rubbish comparison.] MT talking a good game but all about delay, avoidance of grasping the nettle, in denial of election loss. Runs distinction without a difference on MP photos at project launches as if not supporting the stimulus can still support the project, calls it “blackmail”.
Turnbull gets a good go till 9.24 am at least despite earlier audio problem of say 3 minutes.
Runs his line on being on BRW rich list is irrelevant, shows his business experience.
Vox pop on ETS with “dwarfs” at basketball national team, presumably a metaphor dwarfism of Federal Govt ETS policy.
Various chat by panel. PropsGate superceded by DeadStimulusGate. Bolt says $40M ‘wasted’, footage of PM Rudd that families of deceased benefit.
‘Prof’ Paul Kelly soliloquy – agrees debt problem for Federal Govt. PropsGate too much stunting by Govt. Opp on ETS is holding, patch up job. Says not credible Rudd go to election pre Copenhagen. Predicts deal there. New form of politics after that, either deal with Opp and Govt or double dissolution. BC quotes untenable to oppose ETS if USA makes a policy. Bolt disagrees Coalition needs to be unified re Nats, Atkins notes some Libs similar deniers.
Double dissolution discussed, footage of
Bolt attacks LO as partisan and unprofessional. [There is a point there but Bolt is off point re Heffernan ambush of so called big media alleged “ambush” of BRW rich list.
Talking pics with Mexican Hat dig at Sol Trujillo, and Chaser lad. Claims precedent on propsgate.
Inside Business with Alan Kohler
Posted by editor
at 12:49 PM NZT
Updated: Sunday, 31 May 2009 12:55 PM NZT